Pages

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Introduction

Close to ten years ago, I borrowed an SLR from my girlfriend-at-the-time and discovered how awesome photography could be. It was stolen out of my car after only a couple weeks and just two or three rolls of film, and I've wanted a replacement ever since. But the things are damned expensive, and after a couple failed Ebay attempts (always something wrong with the purchase) I gave up.

Years passed, and I'm getting married in the fall (to a lovely woman several places removed from the one who lent me the camera). Instead of hiring a photographer for the wedding we decided to buy a nice camera and have a work acquaintance do the photos. These leaves me with a sexy new camera to play with, and close to ten years of places and things I wanted to photograph.

I have a Flickr and Tumblr to also share these photos, but this space is designed to be more in-depth. Capturing the images is rewarding and definitely offers a wide variety of challenges and opportunities for growth.  But I can't help looking at some places, or structures, or objects, and wonder, "What's the story here?"

My opening post is the perfect example of that. The Standpipe in Eden Park, located in Cincinnati, Ohio is a beautiful piece of architecture and that alone made it worthwhile to keep Katie waiting for 45 minutes while I took pictures.  But why the hell is it there? Who built it? When?  What for? Is it still in service? Is it being used for another purpose today?

If I'm asking these questions, I figure other people are too. I also know that the easiest option for research--the Internet--isn't always going to turn up what one wants simply because no one has thought to upload the data. I also know that what data IS out there, isn't always cited well. One of my main goals is to provide the sources that will support what I find, lending credibility to my posts and leaving a guidepost for the next, more ambitious researcher.

Mission Statement
  1. Capture engaging images that give the viewer a sense of "There"
  2. Research the history behind the subjects to bring life to the images
  3. Provide clear and easy-to-follow source citation to help the flow of knowledge

No comments:

Post a Comment