Pages

Monday, September 2, 2013

Wildlife at Hoover Dam (Ohio)

My first post on Hoover Dam was focused mostly on the dam itself--how it got there, what it does, what it looks like. But as is the case anytime there's water, you'll wind up with wildlife.

Hoover Reservoir is well known for the fishing and birding, and my experience holds that up. Here are some of my favorite wildlife shots from that trip a couple months back.


This lil critter wasn't too sure about me. That's ok--I'd seen some of the mess he'd left below the nest and was pretty sure we didn't need to be friends.


Same story with this guy. He just struck me as being a bit dodgy, hanging out on the ledge below the dam overlook. Looking around all cock-eyed. Sketchy, sketchy pigeon.


This fellow on the other hand struck me as a dignified sort of chap, sitting in the spillway waiting on...something or other. For an Eagle Scout, I know precious little about the behaviors of most wild creatures. I'd like to say that's because I prefer to be constantly amazed by the natural world, but it probably boils down to something more mundane...like oversight or wanting to do archery instead.




That doesn't mean the natural world isn't amazing, however.




One of the most incredible things about Hoover Dam is how it doesn't really slow the birds down. I'm not saying there's been no environmental impact, but the adaptability of these creatures is impressive. Ducks, herons, the smaller songbirds that built the nests above--they've all figured out ways to take advantage of our incredible alteration of the natural order.

Considering we're the species that creates lakes pretty much whenever we feel like it, I respect adaptability in a big way. Though, I suppose there's no real reason to push that particular skill to the max, now is there?

No comments:

Post a Comment